Monday, July 18, 2011

A Scare, A Meltdown, and a Stress Test

Now for part two of my crazy week which was much more eventful, and even included my biggest meltdown to date!

On Thursday was my growth scan.  As always baby girl was pretty hard to measure, especially her head since it's so low.  In the end she ended up weighing in at 3lbs 12oz (39th percentile), and baby boy ended up weighing in at a whopping 4lbs 4oz (59th percentile)!  So yes, that's a 20% difference... the ultrasound guy said that the girls percentile was likely off because of a poor head measurement.  My doctor called me that evening once she got the results, and said that she was concerned enough about the 20% difference that she was sending my results to the Perinatologist.  She knew that the measurements were likely off, but she wanted to be on the safe side...   The next day she called again after talking to her, and said that they were still both in the normal range, growing, and were in fact both pretty big despite the difference, so she would not worry about it. PHEW!  PS. That's 8 pounds of baby in there!

Then there was the meltdown... There have definitely been a few irrational meltdowns, but this time, as far as I was concerned, it was well justified! My husband came home on Wednesday asking for his passport, as some business associates were in town the next day and wanted to go see one of their factories across the border in Mexico, then go out in Tijuana afterward.  Of course I immediately started picturing him being kidnapped, murdered etc, as, well, Tijuana isn't exactly the safest of places, and frequents the news here in So. Cal. regarding kidnappings, shootings, etc. Therefore in my eyes, a meltdown (or two or three) was completely appropriate. There was one that night before bed, one the next morning before he left for work, and one later in the day.  I pretty much begged him not to go, asked him how I was going to raise twins on my own if anything happened to him, what if I went into labor while he was in ANOTHER COUNTRY  etc. etc. You get my drift.  He on the other hand, thought I was loosing my mind. He kept trying to reassure me that he would be completely safe, they were all being driven together by someone who actually lives across the border and commutes every day, reminded me that said "other country" is only about 15 minutes from his work, and above all, it was an important business obligation.  Wouldn't you guess? He ended up making it home safely after all!


On Friday was my second non stress test.  The name is pretty funny to me as I find them to be pretty darn stressful! On one hand it's reassuring to sit and listen to their heartbeats (and hiccups this time!). On the other hand, it seems to be a recurring theme for the RN to have a heart attack about how many contractions I have, which makes me really paranoid.  This time she came in saying "Wow, you're having some pretty organized contractions here- seven minutes apart, and not tiny ones either... are you sure this is normal?".  Um, yes. Quite sure.  I asked her if it's more than she usually sees for people with twins, and she said yes, I was having more, in a more organized fashion, and more intense than would be considered normal.  She said that mine were something that a doctor would be usually pretty concerned about someone having so early on.  Great.  Of course she did compare them to my printout from Tuesday, and it was pretty much identical. I brought it up to my doctor later in the day, who said that it was just the norm for me and I shouldn't worry unless they got more frequent or intense.  Of course when you have someone who is so concerned about your contractions, it makes you quite a bit more paranoid, so now I find myself over analyzing every contraction that I have all day!

4 comments:

  1. At my last measurement at 30 wks, my boys were 3lbs 4 oz and 2lb 12 oz! I was concerned too, but my baby B was really hard to measure too! Hopefully, at the next check next wk, they'll be much higher!

    For some reason my dr won't start NST til 34 weeks! Not sure why but we're still hangin on here!

    Glad your hubby stayed safe! My cousin is a FBI agent in SD and he said we aren't "allowed" in Mexico, let alone TJ! Its a scary place right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole twin contraction thing is so frustrating.... i have been told the same basic thing. Contracting every seven min is my "normal" and was basically told to not be concerned unless the contractions start occuring every five min or less.... or if they become to painful to talk through. Sometimes i wonder what it would feel like to have a normal pregnancy and not contract all the time. I will not start having nsts until 34 weeks as well.
    Love the comic that you posted..... its so true. Glad that your hubby made it home safe, but just for the record i would of had a melt down too if my husband announced he would be leaving to go to mexico!
    8 pounds of baby.... woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like everyone keeps reminding me, each woman's pregnancy is different. I'm glad to hear your doctor recognizes that and doesn't overreact with your contractions or the fact that the babies weight isn't exactly on par with the "norm".

    So glad to hear your hubby made it home safely:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I read about your hubby's trip, I was having a conniption fit on your behalf!! ;) And then your comic made me giggle. Glad he made it home safely.

    You're doing great, Momma - and for goodness' sake, I hope the nurse either remembers you or learns to shut the frick up. LOL

    ReplyDelete