Friday, July 29, 2011

Nesting! Yikes!

I've mentioned before that I have had zero energy pretty much throughout the pregnancy, and that even standing for 30 seconds is hard for me.  Also, as a result pretty much everything I thought I'd be exited to do became not so exiting.  I've also said that I'm so thankful that we painted, got furniture and registered around 20 weeks, and that my mom came to visit around that time and pretty much washed and put away all the baby stuff too, because I literally have not done a thing since then (other than put the artwork on the walls because my hubby insisted that we not procrastinate anymore).  I've been walking by the nursery every day, thinking about how I need to wash stuff that we've subsequently gotten at showers, re-organize the closet and dresser (didn't love the way my mom had it arranged),  pack my hospital bag, and arrange all the extra diapers and gifts that we have in our loft that aren't going to be used for a while.  Of course just thinking about it just made me feel exhausted and overwhelmed, so, I always ended up back on the couch.

UNTIL a couple days ago.  I suddenly got the overwhelming urge to conquer it all!  I actually had to make a conscious effort to remember to not stand for too long at a time, which is pretty crazy, because, like I said, being on my feet for any amount of time usually makes me feel like I'm going to pass out. So anyway, by the end of the day I felt much better- I had washed the rest of the baby stuff, reorganized the closet and dresser, sorted and packed away all the baby clothes bigger than 3-6 months, tidied the loft, packed the hospital bag- PHEW! Then it occurred to me- I'm nesting!! This completely freaked me out, because, I've always heard that, as one website put it-  "Many women acutely experience the nesting instinct in the final days of their pregnancy, and this can often be a sign that labor and delivery is close at hand."  Even my own mother says that the day she went into labor she had gotten the overwhelming urge to paint the hallway to my room (and did!). I know that I'll be 34 weeks in a couple days, and that the average for twins is only 35 weeks, but although I cannot wait to meet them, the thought that it could be so soon is scary!

Anyway I clearly overdid it, because by the end of the day I was in so much pain! My hips, knees, feet, back, belly- OUCH! I was actually limping because my hips hurt so badly, and I'm still quite sore 2 days later! I saw my doctor yesterday, and she said my cervix was still measuring 4.1, so luckily I didn't do any damage there. BUT she also said, that at this point, the cervical length is a good sign, but I could still have my water break or go into labor at any time regardless of how long my cervix is.  I was also happy to have her tell my husband that if he comes home and the house is clean and dinner is on the table, then I've been really overdoing it, which made me feel much less guilty!

Surprisingly I don't think my belly has grown much in the past couple weeks, but here it is anyway at 33 weeks 5 days

3 comments:

  1. Ya thats what my doctor told me! That its looking like I can make it to at least 36 weeks, but at the same time, my water can break, etc.!

    I know that nesting feeling! Luckily I have had lots of help! See if one of your friends can help you so you don't over do it! I had one of my girlfriends help me after my shower and I just sat there and deligated while she put things away for me. I wasn't even on bedrest yet! LOL!

    Glad the nursery is coming along! Its so exciting that we are so close in due dates! I love reading your updates :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your post made me tired :) hopefully your body has recovered from your nesting sprint! I am sure it feels great to get things ready though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at you go! I don't know how you did it, guess it must have been one last nesting push. Glad to hear all is well and that those babies are still cookin!

    ReplyDelete