Monday, June 13, 2011

Confusion

I saw the Perinatologist on Friday, and then had another anatomy scan today. All I can say is that I'm pretty confused at this point. I'll try to summarize what I got from the two appointments. 

1. I was told by the Perinatologist that baby girl is smaller than baby boy by about a 10 days, and should be closely monitored. WHAT??  She has always only been 2-3 days behind, up until a week ago.  Today at the anatomy scan I was told that she was 4 days behind. She weighed 2lbs 3oz, while he weighed 2lbs 7oz. Who do I believe?

2. Baby girl has much less amniotic fluid around her.  She says that I shouldn't be concerned, as she's doing fine, and it has likely always been like this.  She also said that that is probably why I feel her moving much more than the boy.  Today at the anatomy scan when I asked, they confirmed that yes, she has quite a bit less fluid, and is in much tighter quarters than the boy. But, they said that it wasn't too little fluid, it was still a satisfactory amount and I shouldn't be concerned. They did say that since she was a bit squished she was harder to measure so the dates could be a little off...

3. On Friday she said that they are measuring in at the .... I don't really remember... 20 something and 30 something percentile. WHAT? Just a week ago I was told 55 and 47?? I don't understand how they could fall behind so much so fast.  Of course she said that this is a perfectly normal percentile for twins, but it doesn't make me happy.  Today, well, I don't know the percentiles yet- my doctor will tell me when I see her on Thursday. BUT they are both still measuring a few days earlier than their due dates, so you would think that that would put them in a percentile higher than 20-30 percent...

4.  I have a large ovarian cyst.  She was surprised that no one had told me about it before, and said that if it moves or twists etc. it could cause me severe pain and have to be removed.... surgically... or she said that it could otherwise be removed if I have a c-section. She said that it had obviously been there for some time, and could be the reason for my elevated WBC.  Luckily she also said that I was pretty big so hopefully it shouldn't be able to move and cause any problems... All I can say is that I hope it stays put.

5.  The good news is, that my cervix both Friday and today was measuring about 4.3 which makes me really happy!

Now I guess I just wait for Thursday, and hopefully my doctor can make sense out of all the discrepancies for me. Tomorrow I will go in for my glucose tolerance test. When I had my baseline one done in the first trimester I had no idea what I was in for. I was in complete shock when I was handed the bottle of stuff to drink, told to drink it, then sit down, and not walk around/ move at all for an hour till the blood draw. I was bored out of my mind! Tomorrow I will make sure I have a book or something to do.

Anyway, since today happens to be exactly 27 weeks, I guess I should put up a belly shot... All I can say is I feel HUGE! I cannot even imagine being any bigger! I've escaped the stretch marks so far, but I'm not sure how much longer this will be the case!


And.. my favorite outfits (pretty much the only matching ones)!! Love the little crabby butts!


2 comments:

  1. Hey... just caught up reading your blog, congrats on your boy/girl twins. That is so exciting! Our due dates are so close together! I love the colors you chose for the nursery.... so darn cute. The crabby butt outfits are adorable. Hopefully at your next appt you will get some clarification. Its so frustrating to get contradictory information. At my last ultrasound baby a was 2#5oz and baby B was 2#. The doc said it was still in the normal range and they would not be concerned until there was a 25% difference in their weight. Anyways other than that it sounds like everything has been going well! You look great.... you are all belly.
    I look forward to following this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How frustrating!! I would be upset if doctors were telling me different things all the time too! Wait that kinda happened... I was told my Baby A had a marginal cord insertion. I came back a month later and was told, no Baby B does. Then I was told that NEITHER of them did! All that worry for nothing! I think its just hard for them to get everything right in such tight quarters! But at least both of them are still doing good and are in a healthy range!!

    Love the little outfits! And you look adorable :)

    ReplyDelete