Tuesday, April 20, 2010

You Want Me To Stick That Needle WHERE?

I stuck a needle in my leg today!!  That's all that has been going through my head for the entire day! I know that all the people who have been doing this routinely must be thinking "big deal", but to me, it was an ENORMOUS deal! I stuck a needle in my leg!!!
And here is the bruise to prove it!
So here's how it went down today... I got to the doctors office for another ultrasound, to see what effect the Clomid had, and lo and behold- two very mature follicles! That means tonight is going to be the night for the HCG shot to make me ovulate.  I have an appointment for 11:30 on Thursday, which means that I need to get the shot at 11:30 tonight.  Only problem is that now I have to do a practice shot.... So I go into another room with my husband, and the nurse asks who is going to do the shot.  Now my husband was supposed to do it, but, control freak that I am, I suddenly decide that I have to do it myself! Did I mention that needles are my biggest phobia??

So I'm sitting there, and the nurse is walking me through mixing the vials, filling the syringe, getting rid of air bubbles etc. etc. Now if my husband were giving it to me, it would have been in my butt, but since I am doing it, it has to be in my thigh, which for some reason seems a lot scarier than my butt!

Anyway, I'm sitting there, holding the needle above my leg for what seems like FOREVER, telling myself  "you can do it, just stick it in!" only it was much easier said than done, I almost had to have my husband do it! I have no idea how long it took, all I know, is that after an eternity of sitting there with my pants down, staring at this needle hovering over my leg, I suddenly gave myself a countdown "3, 2, 1 GO!". And without thinking about it, shoved the needle all the way into my leg!!  I have to admit, that it was not bad at all, in fact, I hardly even felt it!  Now, I had to pull the plunger back a bit, to check for blood, making sure I had not hit a blood vessel (heaven forbid! I would have had to start all over again!). The nurse gave me the all clear, and I pushed the plunger down and injected the saline solution into my leg!

I immediately pulled it out, and OH MY GOD, I'M BLEEDING!  I mean blood poured out of my leg, a few drops even made it to the floor before I could get paper towels on it!! The nurse said that I must have nicked something on the way in! I don't think that it was the blood, but just the fact that I had stuck a needle in my leg, made me suddenly feel like I was about to pass out! I pulled my pants up, disregarding my bleeding leg, and flopped down on the bed as I felt the blood drain from my face. The nurse was trying to get me to put a band aid on my leg, but I said no, I just wanted to lie down. She gave me a couple of syringes, and a cup for my hubby's "donation" and I was on my way! All I had to do was go and pick up the prescription!

Fast forward to 7:30 pm, 4 hours until the moment of truth! I hope that this goes better the second time around and that I don't pass out on the bathroom floor in a pool of my own blood! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment