Friday, March 12, 2010

Good News Bad News...

Well, Thursday finally came, and we were off to our doctors appointment. Let's just say there's good news and bad news....
The good news is that I am apparently a miracle worker, and cured my husband of his sperm woes!  I guess I should say, that upon hearing that my husbands sperm morphology was 0%, I did a ton of research, bought a bunch of supplements proven effective in various studies, and have basically been treating my husband as a lab rat for the past three months giving him everything from pycnogenol, to selenium, zinc etc.-  no less than 10 pills a day!  I know, I know, sounds crazy, but it seems to have worked! His numbers and morphology are totally normal now, in fact better than normal, and male factor has been taken off the table for our infertility woes.

The bad news is, now we have NO IDEA what the problem is!  The doctor very nicely said that we fall into that very convenient category of "unexplained infertility". Great.  The last step is for me to get a Hysterosalpingography, or HSG for short.  I am not too exited about this, as basically they put a catheter up into my uterus, and fill it with purple dye while x-raying it, in order to see if my fallopian tubes are blocked, or if they can see any other problems.  Now I have read that this can be pretty painful, which makes me even more nervous.

Crazy though it may seem, I almost WANT my tubes to be blocked, because at least we would know what the problem is. It just seems that it has to be so much easier to solve a problem when you actually KNOW what the problem is.  Only thing is, I can't do the test for another 2 weeks, because it has to be done between days 7-10 of your cycle.  Needless to say, this is going to be an agonizing 2 weeks.

Pretty much, the doctor said that assuming the test comes back totally fine, he would recommend 3-4 cycles of clomid, then if that didn't work, move to injectibles , then finally IVF, over a course of 8 months! Now, I don't know if I am going to be able to have the patience to go for 8 months before turning to IVF!  We've already been trying for 2 years!

Perhaps now that I have cured my husband, I should focus on curing myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment